Friday, September 19, 2008

Things that grow

I admit, I am not much of a gardener. I'm all about planning the layout, putting in the seeds, and watching it grow -- for about 3 weeks. When the weather gets hot, I am in the house staying cool, and whatever goes on outside stays outside. But I am finding a way to grow a very tiny garden with a bit of success. In containers, right outside the back door on the deck. We rigged up a rainbarrel out there too, for guilt-free watering under drought restrictions. I don't have to walk far, I don't have to use a shovel and because I can see them just out the window, I actually remember to water now and then. These are 3 of the peppers I got from our single bellpepper plant. I sauteed them with onions and we enjoyed them with our favorite hamburger helper, Philly Cheesesteak.
And speaking of things that grow, here is a talent that has been growing steadily and almost invisibly since his first lesson in fifth grade. Mike hasn't played at home much. So a few days ago when he pulled out the bow and stroked the strings I was surprised to hear some very beautiful music coming from his hands. I remembered a few years ago when I held a
quiet dream of Michael someday playing music like guys such as Tracy Silverman and Dave Klinkenberg. At the time, it was a pretty remote wish, but I can say now, it is really not so distant. Mike has a beautiful touch with the violin. He prefers the "fiddle" type music, which is full of the energy and emotion of a simple human life. Mix in a little celtic style, and a few video game themes, and he's happy as can be at it. Keep going Mike! You are doing great, and your abilities will be useful in many ways!
This little weed is growing too. At 6 months, she is over 19 lbs, and getting ready to go places. Here she demonstrates her "bridge" as she tries to figure out how to get to those goldfish crumbs.
One more thought, while you are growing and going places, don't forget to wear your helmet! It's a wild world out there!

2 comments:

Jake, Camille, Kennedy & Jacob said...

Those peppers look amazing...I'm thinking...fajitas! I wish we could have a garden here! :( Tell Michael I want to hear some of his violin playing! I had no idea he still was playing. Athena...can you stop growing please! I feel like I'm missing so much! She looks sooooo cute on her toes like that. Matthew, you are pretty crazy! I have a feeling you and Kennedy are going to get along great come Thanksgiving time. Shhhh...dont tell her Daddy though! Thanks Mommy for keeping up the blog! You know I need it!

Jacki said...

What a great garden idea. I always am saying how much I want a garden but how much I DON'T want to be outside with the heat. I will have to try a few pot plants first.

I can't believe how big everyone is getting. I miss you guys. I need to see you all soon. We are going to be at the Snows for Thanksgiving, but we will be around that whole week so we will need to come up a few times!