Monday, October 20, 2008

Thank Heaven for Germs

I may possibly be the only mom in America who is thankful for germs. I am thankful for germs that make us sick once in a while to remind us we are merely mortal, and that there is more to life than whatever futile task we are feverishly working on at the moment. I am also thankful for germs that slow down the active preschooler and let mother catch her breath.So this past week Matthew caught a virus of some kind. Not only did it give him a fever, sore throat and laryngitis, but his little body seems to have had an allergic reaction to the virus which gave him a rash all over similar to hives. The rash is called Erythema Multiforme. It swells, It itches, and the hive-like blotches turn pale in the center. Its a strange one. Matthew spent two days mainly on the couch watching movies or sleeping.

I was thankful to have him slowed down a bit, because this is what he was doing the day before the germ!
He got going early in the day and lashed the laundry basket to the upstairs railing with the cord that connects the camera to the computer, then lowered the basket down. Then he came downstairs and discovered he could not reach the basket, so he looked about for options. Soon he was lifting the television off the table and putting it on the floor, then moving the table over to where he needed it to be.
But even atop the table he couldn't reach it, so from there he shinnied up the pillar to put something inside the basket. So you see, it's really okay with me if he gets a little sick now and then and we have to sit on the couch and snuggle instead.

3 comments:

Dadmichael said...

Maybe he got his virus 'cuz he hugged a pillar instead
of a tree? What an active creative little boy!
I think Jake ALMOST equaled him?? I feel sorry
for Camille IF jake's son were to be JUST like Jake!
I took me 4 years to have another, I was SO busy chasing and entertaining him... Gotta love 'em, 'cuz Indians don't take little children any more!!!?

Dadmichael said...

OOPS, I am J'net, not Dad Michael, just on his computer tonight... Aloha

Jake, Camille, Kennedy & Jacob said...

That was your birthday present for sure! What a crazy/creative little boy. I really think that my boys are going to be exactly like that. I'm going to be calling you everyday crying because I dont know what to do. Hopefully we have a big backyard that I can just go tell them to play in! HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD BIRTHDAY!!!! Cant wait to see you in a week!